With all the special offers and summer vacation just around the corner (can you believe it), I thought this would be a good time to discuss tips for waiting in line at Disney parks. Since the busy season is upon us, you can plan on spending some time waiting in lines at many attractions. The good news is, Disney knows how to do line queues correctly! You will be entertained with video, audio, and things to read. So, for those who have not been to Disney, rest assured you will not be left staring at a blank wall or the feet of the person in front of you as you meander through a see of mazes. There are plenty of things to do to pass the time.
With that in mind, here are my Top Five ways to shorten your wait times and make it more enjoyable for yourself and those around you:
1. This is Disney; make some new friends! Take the time to interract with those people in front of you, behind you, and next to you. People are generally in a good mood since they are on vacation at Disney. I have found this is one of the best ways to make the time go by faster and have even made some new friends. If you’re not the type who opens up to strangers, here are a few icebreakers to get you started. How about commenting on someone’s T-shirt, glasses, or shoes? Ask them where they are from or start talking to their children. Once you try it, you will be amazed at how open people are to talking. Before you know it, you will be at the front of the line!
2. You’re already ten minutes ahead! How does Disney know how long the wait time will be for each attraction? As you enter, a cast member will pass out a carded lanyard to guests at different intervals. When those guests get to the front of the line, another cast member will take the card and scan it into a computer. The computer notes the time difference from start to finish and posts the wait time outside the attraction. Our experience has shown us that wait times are typically listed about 10 minutes longer than the actual wait time. We have no data to prove this, but have just made the observation. Regardless, you’re closer to the front of the line from the minute you enter the attraction!
3. Have a snack. Waiting in line is a great time to grab a snack out of your backpack or purse. Make these snacks something everyone can eat while standing up (granola bars, rice krispie treats, goldfish, etc.). Also, don’t forget a drink to wash it down. Drinks with caps on them are the best, so you don’t have to worry about finishing the whole drink before the ride or show. Not only is it a great way to pass the time while in line, but it is also a good use of your time. Once you are off the ride, you will not have to stop because someone is hungry. As for your trash, there are trashcans placed along all queues.
4. Play a game. Playing games while in line will also help pass the time quickly. Try I-Spy or a memory game. Have your kids look at something around you and tell them to remember as much as they can about it. Have them turn around and then ask them questions about it. The one who remembers the most, wins. Make up stories about the people around you, like why they came to Disney, what their names are, where they are from, etc). An i-Pod, or Nintendo DS are also good for speeding up time.
5. Patience and gratitude. Having a little patience and gratitude can go a long way! Regardless of how long the line is or how hot is is outside, everyone in line is in the same boat as you. No one likes to wait, so make the best of it. Be grateful you are at this amazing place! So many people would LOVE to be at Disney Land® Resort or Walt Disney World®. You are one of the lucky ones.
Disney has done a great job of entertaining you while you wait in line, especially on the newer attractions. Between that and these tips, you should be able to cruise through the line much faster, or…..at least feel like you are! Do you have any other tips we could share?
Discover the magic of Walt Disney World® Resorts and parks on a Walt Disney World® family vacation, and share the joy of Mickey Mouse and company with your kids. Let Ears of Experience plan the perfect Disney trip for you and your loved ones. Contact us today at 1-877-80MOUSE. We look forward to sending you on the magical vacation of a lifetime.Tweet