I had a hard time narrowing this list down to 10, because there are so many to choose from, but here are 10 interesting picks:
- Covering 47 square miles, Walt Disney World® Resort is about the size of San Francisco, California. Of the more than 30,000 acres, less than one-fourth has been developed, with another quarter designated as a wilderness preserve.
- More than 50 million Cokes are consumed each year at Walt Disney World® Resort. Guests also gobble 10 million hamburgers, 7 million hot dogs, 9 million pounds of french fries and more than 300,000 pounds of popcorn.
- Spaceship Earth, the visual and thematic centerpiece of Epcot®, weighs 16 million pounds — more than three times that of a Space Shuttle fully fueled and ready for launch. The outer “skin” of Spaceship Earth is made up of 11,324 aluminum and plastic-alloy triangles. Also, did you know that rainwater never falls off the sphere? It’s absorbed into the ball and funneled away.
- The “Liberty Oak,” which is the focal point of the Liberty Square area in the Magic Kingdom® Park, is the proud parent of more than 500 young trees. They all started out as acorns harvested from the majestic oak.
- Space Mountain® Attraction and Big Thunder Mountain only move at 26 mph? Pretty slow for a roller coaster. The Monorail was the fastest ride in Disney until Test Track was installed in Epcot®.
- Cinderella’s castle is not made of stone… it is entirely made of fiberglass.
- Other than the White House in Washington , D.C. , The Hall of Presidents in the Walt Disney World® Resort is the only place in the world that is allowed to use the Official Presidential Seal, which is located in the carpet in the rotunda.
- The six trains at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are named I.B. Hearty, I.M. Brave, I.M. Fearless, U.B. Bold, U.R. Daring and U.R. Courageous.
- Epcot® is the only Walt Disney World® Theme Park that boasts two entrances (one being accessible via Disney’s Boardwalk Inn).
- $35,ooo is spent on fireworks each night for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at EPCOT® and 2,800 shells are used for each show.
Do you have any favorite fun facts? If so, send them in and I will post them here.
Discover the magic of Walt Disney World® Resorts and parks on a Walt Disney World® family vacation, and share the joy of Mickey Mouse and company with your kids. Let Ears of Experience plan the perfect Disney trip for you and your loved ones. Contact us today at 1-877-80MOUSE. We look forward to sending you on the magical vacation of a lifetime.Tweet