If you are anything like me, you are probably a little over this crazy weather that we are getting. The Ears home office is in South Carolina and we have had 40’s – 80’s all in one day. The pollen count is high here. So many of our agents live in the north and they are still getting snow! IN APRIL! Being from the north, I understand how winter lasts a little too long up there. This time of year, is when we all get a little spring fever. We want the weather to warm up. We want to put away the boots. We want to go on vacation!
This is also a great time of year to visit Disney! The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival is in full swing this time of year. It is a perfect time to leave the winter coats and snow boots behind and head south.
In addition to the warmer weather, here are seven reasons you should visit the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival at Walt Disney World.
- Topiaries, Topiaries and More Topiaries! We all have our favorite Disney character. But during these 60 days of celebration, you can see your favorite character in topiary form! That’s right. The brilliant designers of Disney have crafted our favorite characters out of trees and shrubs.This is not an everyday attraction at Epcot either. Many of these beautiful designs are different year over year and can only be seen in spring at Epcot.
- Special menus! We normally love all the food in the World Showcase because it literally has something for everyone. However, during this event, culinary wizards bring out the farm to table fresh creations. Local and International flavors are brought in just for the event! I am personally looking forward to trying the Field Greens with Fresh Strawberries, Crisp Quinoa, Strawberry Vinaigrette and Spiced pecans followed by the Warm Wild Berry Buckle with Pepper Berry Gelato. Oh.. did I mention that there is a new Honey Bee-stro? Roasted Cauliflower, Honey Tandoori Chicken Flatbread and the Orange Blossom Pilsner are calling my name. I don’t even need a dining reservation for these!
- The Play Gardens! The play gardens are great for the little ones to learn about gardening and natural landscaped while moving. The Imagination Play Garden stimulates all 5 senses while exploring the sounds in a musical maze. The How to Garden exhibit teaches the littles how to build their own butterfly house and crating botanical crafts. The cast members teach the kids about other sustainable craft ideas. Finally, the Road to the Florida 500 is where parents can sit, rest and sip on a tasty beverage while the kids race in a beachside track with Lightning McQueen and Cruz Ramirez.
- It is for a great cause! The Disney Conservation Fund (DCF) has directed more than $70 million to support nonprofit organizations that work across the globe to protect at-risk wildlife and critical ecosystems while inspiring people to take action for our planet. We can help protect the planet by appreciating and sharing the magic of nature with our family and friends.
- Everyone loves a good scavenger hunt! Disney’s favorite honey bee, Spike, has been pollinating his way around the Festival! In this springtime scavenger hunt, gardeners of all ages can follow Spike on his pollination trail around World Showcase, where he will “bee” busy collecting nectar and pollinating gardens at Epcot. You can purchase your map and stickers at the Port of Entry.
- The Gardens! How can you attend the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival without seeing the spectacular gardens? Well, Disney makes it easy not to miss! Eighteen gardens have been designed for you to enjoy! Yes! Eight gardens have been crafted in Future World and another ten in the World Showcase. My personal favorites are the Bamboo Garden in China and the English Tea Garden. I love to stop at both locations and enjoy a cup of tea while sitting in the garden to admire the beauty. Sometimes I get to see a few butterflies (hand painted by the animal talent fairies of course) flitter by.
- The entertainment! In addition to all that I have mentioned above, there is a concert series as well! I know what you are thinking… how can this get any better? Well, it just did. Bans like Simple Plan, Little River Band and Starship are back this year! New to the stage is Smash Mouth, Rick Springfield, Jo Dee Messina and Lonestar. I am a fan of all music genres, so this line up has me dancing already!
If you get a chance to make it down before May 28th, you will not be disappointed. This is one of my favorite annual events that I look forward to every year!